All the materials except the main fabric used for apparel manufacturing are included in trimmings and accessories.
What Are the Purposes of Using Trimmings and Accessories?
These are used for mainly two purposes –
- Functional Purpose – Zipper, Button, etc
- Decorative Purpose – Motif, Lace, etc
What Are Garment Trimmings?
The components that are sewn with the main fabric of a garment, especially for a functional purpose, are called trimmings.
The number of trimmings in the garment industry is uncountable. This is not necessary that all trimmings are visible from the outside body of a garment. There are some which remain in the inner portion of a garment as well; for example, Interlining.
Some trimmings that are used in the garment industry are given below:
1. Sewing Thread; 2. Button; 3. Lace Braid & Elastic; 4. Label & Motif; 5. Zipper; 6. Interlining; 7. Lining; 8. Hook & Loop Fastening; 9. Wadding; 10. Shoulder Pad
What Are the Requirements of Trimmings?
Some requirements should be fulfilled before using trimmings in a garment. If those requirements are not met, garments quality may be deteriorated. Before making a garment, the main fabric & trimmings to be used in garments should be selected with special care so that the quality of garments is not hampered during the making of garments or the use of the garment.
Lifetime of Garment Trimmings
The desired lifetime of a garment and lifetime of the trimmings used in that garment should be contemporary; otherwise, the garment may be rejected before its desired lifetime.
Shrinkage of the Garment Trimmings
Trimmings should not be shrunk during washing or ironing. For that reason, the shrinkage test should be done before using in a garment.
Color Fastness of the Garment Trimmings
Colorfastness is very important otherwise the color of trimmings may fade or bleed by any out force such as light, washing, rubbing, perspiration, etc
Comfortability of the Garment Trimmings
Trimmings should be as comfortable as the main fabric. These should not arise any discomfort or skin irritation.
Actual Pictures of Some Garment Trimmings
Types of Trimmings
Trimming can be divided into two categories –
- Visible Trimmings – It is found from the outside of the garment.
- Invisible trimmings – It is present in the inside, so not evident.
What Are Garment Accessories?
The materials that are not attached to garments by sewing are termed as accessories. Accessories are the ultimate materials that are not attached to the garments. These are used for decorative purposes. Not for functional use.
Some accessories are used in the garment industry are given below:
1. Neck board; 2. Hang Tag; 3. Price Tag; 4. Collar Stand; 5. Carton; 6. Poly Bag; 7. Plastic Clip; 8. Tape; 9. Barcode; 10. Tag pin; 11. Hanger; 12. Butterfly; 13. Safety Sticker
Actual Pictures of Some Garment Accessories
What Are the Differences Between Trimmings and Accessories?
Now, after going through the details about trimming and accessories you might already have grasped their differences. Anyway, I have listed them below briefly for your convenience –
1. Trimmings are attached with garments by sewing
1. Accessories are not attached with garments by sewing
2. These are used for functional purposes
2. These are used mainly for decorative purposes. Generally, use in garment finishing and packaging
3. Trimmings are the ultimate materials that are attached to the garments while using by the end-users
3. Accessories are not attached to the garments while using by the end-users
4. Example: sewing thread, interlining
Key Points of Some Trimmings & Accessories
- It contains some essential information regarding garments such as the size of the garments, the types of fiber used, caring instruction, country of origin, etc
- It is used for functional purpose
- Generally, it is made of woven fabric or paper
- It is attached with garment by sewing
- It remains in the inner portion of a garment
- It is used to increase the beauty of a garment
- It is used the outer portion of a garment
- Generally contains the company logo, trademark or various types of symbol
- These are made by embroidery or by printing
- For making some motifs, thermoplastic threads are used, and those are attached in garments by ultrasonic welding
- It is an optional part of a garment
- It is used for opening and closing of some specific parts of a garment
- Since it is a functional component but nowadays it is being used for decorative purpose as well
- Zipper consists of different parts such as zipper tape, teeth, chain, slider, top stop, runner, etc
- It enables to close a garment completely which is not possible by button
- The zipper can be made by plastic, metal, nylon, etc
- Zipper Type: Regular zipper, Invisible zipper, Separated Zipper, Continuous Zipper
- It remains inside of some of the garment but separates to the main fabrics
- It is used to increase the shape, hang and comfort of garments
- It works as an insulator
- It helps to increase the beauty of the inner side of the garment by covering any complicated design
- It is a disc or knob shaped substance
- These can be produced by plastic, nylon, polyester, wood, coconut, ivory, shell
- Buttons may be of various types such as two holes, four holes or without holes
- It is attached with garments by sewing
- It gives desired shape and also strengthening some of the parts of a garment
- Generally, it is used in collar, cuff, facing, the front part of jacket and coat, waistband, etc
- There are two types of interlinings are used in garment production; Fusible interlining and sewn interlining
Hook and Loop Fastener or Velcro (Trimmings)
- It is a special type of interlining which can be used instead of chain or button
- The special feature of it is that its use for kids, old or disabled person is very easy and comfortable
- Generally use in suitcase, shoes, purse, moneybag
Shoulder Pads (Trimmings)
- It is used to maintain size and shape and also provide the requisite amount of bulk of a garment
- Shoulder pads are made from various material, but foam made shoulder pads are comparatively popular
- It is widely used in coat, blouse, etc.
Hang Tag (Accessories)
- It is a finishing item
- It contains some important information like material details, manufacturers’ information, often the price of a garment
- It is usually made by Hard paper, cardboard paper
- It is hanged with garment by plastic staple or string
Price Tag (Accessories)
- It is a label or tag that shows the price of the garment
- Generally, it is made by paper
- Usually barcode sticker is attached with price tag
- A polythene bag, especially used to store or protect the garment
- It is regarded as a finishing item which is used for packing purpose
- The items used to pack the garment which will hold the garment components in position.
- For example, the paper used at the collar and sleeves of a shirt
- A cardboard or plastic box used typically for storage or shipping of garments
- Carton quality is very important otherwise garments may be damaged during shipment
- It is a long, narrow strip of linen, cotton, or the like
- It is used for tying garments, or garment components
- It is one kind of accessories used for hanging the garments
- It is used for hang shirt, coat, and also different types of garments
- Tassel is a finishing material used in fabric decoration
- It is an ornament usually made by threads, cord, string, and generally attached with bottom hems or sleeve to garments or other hangings
- It is more commonly used in ladies’ attire
For further info, you can go through this book.